Monday, May 2, 2011

Bittersweet Bliss

A lot of us are still atwitter after last Friday's Royal Wedding of the century and, I admit, I was up at 6am watching the nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
It was a beautiful ceremony and though I didn't love the bride's dress, she was elegant. I love the formality, the pomp and circumstance of the event. The hats, the dresses, the horse-drawn carriage, the kiss on the balcony - I just ate it all up. It is, after all, every girl's dream to be a princess.
I couldn't help but feel sadness, though, amidst all of this wedded bliss. The sight of William and Harry standing together at the altar brought a tear to my eye.
Their mother was not there to see this day. Princess Diana should have been celebrating in the marriage of her first-born, the son who so much resembles her. A proud mother watching her grown boys turned into men.
Maybe it's because I have two boys of my own, and I know I want to be there when they get married. It is every mother's wish that her children be happy. This being one of the happiest days of her son's life probably made it somewhat bittersweet for him that his mother was not there to share it. No matter how many times I watch the ceremony over, I can't help but feel that twinge of sadness.

3 comments:

  1. Such a valuable twist on this to remember :( It is very sad and I, too, hope I am there when my children grow up and get married and embark on the adult part of their life-journeys. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything you said. I was up... I loved the pomp... the horse-drawn carriage...

    The only difference is that I loved her dress!

    I get what you mean about the bittersweet bit, too. I remember watching Diana's funeral and feeling so sad when I watched the boys marching, heads lowered behind her coffin.

    It's hard to believe so much time has passed!

    Thanks for sharing your wedding thoughts!

    Baby Talk without the Babble

    ReplyDelete
  3. While watching much of the ceremony I couldn't help but remember watching Diana marry Prince Charles so many years ago - Diana was a fairytale come true... and her death so tragic - it still makes my eyes well up to think about how much her sons missed....
    I've Become My Mother
    Kelly's Ideas
    Amazing Salvation

    ReplyDelete