Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reality Show?

I saw the Dugger family on Larry King last night and just can't even imagine what's going on there. You know the Duggers, they have 18 children, the youngest being 4 months old, all having names that start with the letter "J". I believe they have a reality show as well, but for some reason I just can't watch it. I think I caught an episode once by accident and they all seem so nice. I know, I'm from the East Coast and admittedly a little rough around the edges, but if you have 18 children, aren't you going to be cranky? It's that train wreck thing again. No one stops to see a beautiful, peaceful scene, but they'll stop to look at a train wreck. I guess I'm one of those people who want to see a train wreck. I'd watch the "Octomom" reality show but not the Duggers - says a lot about me I suppose. But I digress. My point is what would possess a woman to have 18 children? I love children and am torturing myself at this moment to produce another one, but 18 times? Years ago I dated a guy who was the 13th child of 13. That blew my mind. I met his mother - she was a seemingly normal person, very nice, down-to-earth. But I often wondered: can't you say "no" once in a while? How does the body tolerate that kind of beating? How do the emotions ever return to normal after having hormones constantly raging? There are women desperate to have 1 child, just 1. The Dugger mom is popping them out like popcorn . . . and she seems happy, well-adjusted and non-frazzled. I just don't get it. I'm counting the seconds until the birth of baby boy #2, never mind thinking about doing this again 16 more times. On top of that, she says they don't know if they're done having children. Who would put their body through so much trauma? And why? These are modern times, in the middle of a recession I might add. It just doesn't seem like the Dugger family is living in reality to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment