Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's All in the Presentation

It's been a long weekend. Friday I had to go for an ultrasound at the high risk group just to make sure everything was ok with baby boy #2 since my blood pressure has been on the rise. Turns out everything is fine and baby boy #2 already weighs just over 6 lbs. I'm pleased all is well, it is a relief, but I'm afraid he's going to be a tad too big for me by the time I deliver. The little guy weighed 7 lbs. 2 oz. when he was born and that was fine for me. Much bigger than that, and I start to get a little nervous. As long as he's healthy and he can squeeze on out, I'm ok. I'm praying for a smooth delivery, and a speedy one. After the scan, I went to pick up the little guy at my parents' house. It was a balmy, humid day and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I listened to my body and just laid down for about an hour. There went my Friday afternoon of getting anything done. And believe me when I say I needed to get things done - Saturday was the little guy's 3rd birthday party. I'm not sure what possessed me to have a "small" party for him (oh who am I kidding, it was guilt) but I invited immediate family only, which consisted of about 10 people. That was more than enough. I didn't cook - pizza, subs, cake and cookies - but I felt like I did. This is one of my problems: I tend to stress about having people over the house. I feel the need to have everything in order and present them with a lovely display of food and entertainment. My husband does not feel the same: straighten up, put out some snacks and let them entertain themselves. He's definitely the yin to my yang. Anyway, I picked up the cake in the morning, came home to clean and was still trying to put out some snacky food when guests started arriving. Then the pizza and subs were delivered. The the little guy started opening presents - which I didn't even see on account of the food presentation I was working on. I tend to get caught up in the details instead of just going with the flow. I think I was born that way. I worry. I overthink. I plan. And then I don't enjoy. I will say I'm much better than I used to be, especially since the little guy came along. My house is not a showroom. I order food instead of trying to make it. I clean up after the party instead of during (my husband will still disagree with that). And the funny thing is I love having people over. I want to have company over more than I don't. I thought I would be more limited in what I could do and how long I would last since I am 9 months pregnant, but somehow I managed. I was exhausted at 7pm after everyone had gone home. My sciatic nerve was shot. I could barely walk. But I think it went well and I pulled it off. The little guy was happy . . . and that's all that really matters anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment