Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Match Made in Hell

I think I'm going to start shopping at WholeFoods Market. We had some subs left over from the little guy's party yesterday and I was DESPERATE for one. I haven't had any cold cuts or tuna since getting pregnant. Usually I'm not a big sandwich girl, but when I found out I couldn't have any because of listeria (please), I wanted one. Since these left over subs were cut into quarters, I figured there could be no harm in having just a little tuna and cheese. I took a bite. Wow - that tasted good. But something in the back of my head was chirping at me. I know about the mercury-tuna situation. When I was pregnant 3 years ago with the little guy, I was able to have tuna but only once a week. This time, absolutely no tuna was the advice from my ob/gyn. WHAT??? Isn't this all getting a little extreme? I'm hungry for Christ's sake. Aren't you supposed to be able to eat whatever you want when you're pregnant and not feel guilty? Why couldn't I get pregnant 10 years ago when none of this was an issue? That's another issue. So that nagging chirp in the back of my head led me to the computer to look up mercury in tuna. I found a recent article, from 2009, that stated there was mercury in high fructose corn syrup. WHAT?? High fructose corn syrup was being processed in mercury. I don't claim to even understand exactly what that means but I do know it's not good. What the hell is going on? My husband has been trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup for at least a year now and has been finding it difficult. That damn syrup is in EVERYTHING. Couple that with mercury and that is sending me to Whole Foods. I don't even want to know the crap I've been eating for the past 40 years and the damage it is doing to my body. Does it taste good? Absolutely? Do I want to know why it tastes so good? No. Because then I won't eat it. Especially since I'm trying to form a child in my belly. Sometimes the less you know, the better. And I'm usually that girl. What I don't know won't hurt me. Let me just live my life. But this time, I put the rest of that tiny tuna sub back in the fridge and started to worry about all the things I've eaten over the past 9 months that contain high fructose corn syrup AND mercury. Suddenly I wasn't that hungry anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment