Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Skin Cancer Screening - Just Do It

I just came back from my 6 month check-up at the dermatologist's office. Since my initial dalliance with basal cell carcinoma back in December, I now get the privilege of having my entire body screened for skin cancer every six months - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now that the warmer weather is here (albeit it's a wet 72 degrees today in New Jersey), it's time to get your full body skin cancer screening. It only takes a few minutes, but well worth it to save your life.

Funny thing about basal cell carcinoma, you don't really think it's anything to worry about. Most of these bumps are whitish/pinkish (skin color) in appearance. These are not those ugly brown uneven things you always see when people are talking about skin cancer. You don't even notice these little suckers. Those are the ones to be cautious about. That's what the dermatologist took off my leg last December. I spotted another one on my arm about a month ago, so he swiped that one off for a biopsy today.

Whether you are a sun worshipper or not, whether you have questionable tags on your skin or not, you should get screened annually. The worst that can happen is you waste an hour of your time in an air conditioned doctor's office. The best that can happen is you save your own life.

1 comment:

  1. “The best that can happen is you save your own life.” – That is right! And thanks for the tip. I think people should make it a point to undergo a cancer screening on a regular basis. Not just for the skin, but for the whole body. Cancer screening helps to detect early signs of the disease. Remember that knowing is the first step to prevention and cure. [Aubrey Holloway]

    ReplyDelete