Tuesday, April 19, 2011

All About Acronyms

I've recently noticed everyone has become obsessed with using acronyms for things instead of saying the actual words. Acronyms simply use the first initials of several words to make a new word. For example, lol is laugh out loud. I suppose we have instant messaging, I mean IM'ing, to thank for all these abbreviations. But I think it's gotten out of control.

This first came to my attention the other night when I was watching That Metal Show on VH1 Classics. Yes, I'm a recovering metal head and I do enjoy watching these die-hards rock on. Anyway, the host of the show was talking to a member of Velvet Revolver. When referencing the band, he would say "VR" instead of Velvet Revolver. This pissed me off! The band's name is not VR. Come on people!

Then last night I was watching Selling New York on TLC, I believe. One of the realtors got a listing for a property in Dumbo. What the hell is Dumbo? Only Dumbo I know is in Disney. Come to find out Dumbo stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. There are even signs to take the ferry to Dumbo. I have no idea what's going on anymore.

I even see Dancing with the Stars referenced as DWTS online. Do we need to abbreviate everything?!?

Acronymslist.com posts over 40,000 acronyms. All these abbreviations seem so impersonal to me. And sometimes confusing because I don't always know what they mean.

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't like using abbreviations. I'm thinking of instituting a ban of all acronyms in my posts, emails and texts. This new way of communicating is FUBAR, IMO!

4 comments:

  1. I agree, my kids now walk around talking text...seriously...grrrr I use some of them, but definitely not in actual speech lol

    Anyway, I'm your newest follower from the Wired hop :D

    http://gooeyhandsnmomscrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa, I just finished a writing class and two classmates kept talking about Dumbo(they lived in NY) I had no idea what they were talking about! Came from wired Wednesday-now following.
    www.themamaminute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete