Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Scream, You Scream

I've never been to Sotheby's Auction House in New York City. I've never been to an art auction. Tonight, Sotheby's is hosting the auction of all auctions.

Edvard Munch's "The Scream" is being auctioned off tonight and is expected to fetch about $200 million. That's $200 million for a painting . . . to be hung on a wall . . . and just hang there.


I appreciate art. I would love the time to peruse galleries. Maybe I will when my kids are a bit older. I cannot, however, fathom spending $200 million for a painting. Hell, I cannot fathom $200 million.

The present owner is a Norwegian businessman. The money he makes from this painting will allegedly go to hotels or galleries or some such venture in Norway.

I think the fact that someone actually has an extra $200 million laying around to purchase this painting bothers me more than anything. That money could be spent on so many other useful, helpful things. Most of the world is in a shambles. Medical research could use some extra funding. Our economy could definitely use a $200 million boost.

But who am I to judge others' wealth? Whoever purchases this painting may have worked long and hard to earn it. Congratulations to that person on your spoils. I think I'm gonna go scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment