Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted on Friday by A Few More Pages. Want to play along? Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence.

"I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin. I lift my hand to feel my face. My front four teeth are gone, I have a hole in my cheek, my nose is broken and my eyes are swollen nearly shut."

"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey

I love this opening. The questions start instantly, what happened to him? Where is he going? The raw writing definitely keeps you interested and reading on.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sounds like he's been in a fight. Wonder what's been going on?

    Here's my Friday: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/09/friday-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a painful beginning. What do you think of the controversy over this book?

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's a grabber! The writing style makes it very vivid - I imagine that if the graphic detail continues, it could be quite a hard-hitting read.

    ReplyDelete