Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Said the Pot to the Kettle

I took the 3 year old to the pediatrician this morning. He's fine, but for the horrible-sounding cough he's had for the past 4 days. I needed to get him checked out to make sure it was no big deal. Paranoid moms like me need reassurance.
 
As I sat with him in the waiting room, other kids and their parents came in for their appointments. We only had to wait about 5 minutes to get in to see the doctor, but in those 5 minutes I came to realize the other moms were deathly afraid of my coughing 3 year old. So much so, they were actually cringing as we walked by.
 
Really? You're in a pediatricĂ­an's waiting room. On the sick side of the office. What did you expect? My kid is sick, and, supposedly, so is yours since you're in for a SICK VISIT, too.
 
That was my initial reaction to the looks and faces. Then it dawned on me. I'm the exact same way. I despise going to the pediatrician - because of all the sick kids. Even when my kids are sick, I dread they're going to pick up something much worse than what they have. Lest you forget, this is a paranoid mom writing this post.
 
It just so happens that my kid sounded like the sickest kid in the waiting room this morning. Mind you, he simply has post nasal drip from a cold. That's what all the coughing is about.
 
I suppose I should find comfort in knowing I'm not the only paranoid mom out there instead of being so quick to lash out at the faces and looks from the other paranoid moms. Just visit any pediatrician's waiting room, and I'm sure you'll find a few of us there yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment