Monday, November 14, 2011

Where Has The Time Gone?

Do you ever just wake up one day, look at your kids and realize they look different? Like they changed over night?

This happens to me every once in a while. It just happened again this weekend.

Once a month, my 5 year old spends the night at my in-laws' place. It's a nice opportunity for him to get one-on-one time with them. Plus he gets to be the center of attention ever since his little brother came along.

He spent this past Friday night with them, and, I swear, when he came home, he looked different to me. Something about his face changed. He's not that little boy in my banner picture (up top) anymore. He's growing up.

It makes me sad and proud all at the same time. My baby's gone and there's a tall, handsome, lanky boy in his place.

There is a 2 year old in the house, so I still get that little boy experience on a daily basis. But it's the pang of your first-born, that precious little gift all wrapped up tight, now going off on his own to school and playdates, experiencing things when you're not peering over his shoulder.

It's true what they say - they grow up so fast. One morning your little boy is wearing his Thomas pajamas, snuggling with you in bed. The next he's putting on his backpack, ready and eager to start a new adventure.

Cherish those first years with your little ones at home. They're over in the blink of an eye.

1 comment:

  1. What I miss is "owning" their bodies if that makes sense; my eight year old refuses now to take baths with his younger brother, insists on showers and having the bathroom to himself. I birthed him! I always thought of that little body belonging to ME, knowing every inch. Ok, I'm trying to let go ,really!

    ReplyDelete