Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesdays at the Library

Every Wednesday I take the 4 year old to storytime at the small public library in our town. I used to take him to the bigger county library a few towns away but was convinced by a local mom to take him to the local library. The first time we went, I swore I wouldn't go back. I have to bring baby boy with us and, despite the fact that there are toys and puzzles there for him to play with, he wanted to pull every book off the shelf and every DVD off the rack while his big brother sat with the librarian and listened to stories and did a craft. I spent the full half hour chasing the baby around re-shelfing all the books and DVDs. This just wasn't going to work for me. But, I reluctantly went back the following week and, surprisingly, it wasn't as bad. Week after week I've been bringing the boys and it's been much smoother each time. Baby boy is familiar with the library now and isn't as interested in pulling every book off the shelf. He still likes to lift the DVDs and show me which ones he pulled, but it's definitely a lot easier to clean up. I spend the half hour looking for books to check out for the 4 year old to read while the baby touches this and touches that. I've also become friendly with one of the librarians there so she keeps an eye on baby boy if he manages to sneak away while I'm searching for books. I must admit, going to the library on Wednesdays has become one of my favorite things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment