Tuesday, May 7, 2013

School Involvement

I always knew I'd be active in my kids' school when the time came. The time is here, and somehow I'm a bit more active than I anticipated.
 
I've been involved in the PTA for 2 years now. I haven't held a titled position, but participated in lots of events. Next year, I'm taking on a bigger role - vice president of fundraising. I have no idea what I was thinking, but so be it. That puts me in charge of the school's biggest fundraiser - the gift auction. I'm in the early planning phases of it now and am already stressing a bit. I've surrounded myself with a great group of people to work with, so I'm hopeful it will be a success. Of course, I'm sure I'll have lots to blog about once the dirty work gets underway.

I've also organized a group of moms to contribute to teacher appreciation week, which happens to be this week. That means I collect their money and purchase a platter of some goodies for the teachers. I ordered a few platters and some salads and need to pick them up and deliver them tomorrow morning. Not much of a big deal, but a task that needs completing nonetheless.

I'm also the PTA's Board of Education representative, which means I get to go to all of the Board meetings and report back anything necessary that may/may not impact us. It's usually about half an hour of my time every 2 weeks, so it's not a huge commitment yet a commitment.

At the Board meeting last night, a fellow 1st grade mom (who also happens to sit on the board) corralled me into helping plan and organize a baby shower for our kids' teacher. Now I have to start planning this event.

It's a good feeling that others think of me as a go-to person to organize and get things done. It does make me feel useful, which is what I've been needing for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment