Monday, February 1, 2010

Who's Drawing the Line?

I missed the 20/20 report on the John Edwards scandal, but I hear it's better than reading a juicy novel. I'm not too sure how I feel about the aide, Andrew Young, who wrote the book about Edwards though. I have mixed feelings I suppose. I imagine most, if not all, of what he contends is true since he was the aide throughout the whole ordeal. I just have a problem with his motivation. He was basically an accomplice in the entire scandal, pretending to be the father of the mistress' baby, housing her, going along with the scheme. Now he's revealing all for what? Money I suppose. If Edwards had kept him on in some capacity as an "employee" than he wouldn't have written the book? Money is the motivation behind everything these days, and I think it's setting a poor example for our children. How about doing what's right because it's the right thing to do? Not because you can make millions. Why didn't Young do what was right at the time? He knew the difference between right and wrong. Are we supposed to overlook his part in the wrongdoing because NOW he's coming clean? I don't think he should get a pass in the name of a tell-all book. I think he should be condemned for his participation in a web of lies. He is just as responsible for the situation as Edwards and the mistress because he knew about it and did nothing. Isn't that the lesson we teach our children? If you see or know something that's bad or wrong, you should do the right thing and tell an adult. At what age does this rule no longer apply? When you're old enough to write a book and get published, making money for yourself and the publishing company? While I would normally be tuned in watching this train wreck unfold, I still take issue with the reason it's unfolding. I probably shouldn't support it in any way, even watching it seems to make me an accomplice of sort, but at least I'm not profiting from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment